Day one Rick Warren slaps us upside the head with this statement…
“It’s not about you.”
Please share how this made you feel…were you surprised to learn that the purpose of life is about more than simply your happiness?
Personally speaking, I used to think that being happy was the most important thing in the world to me. I also thought that basically, I wasn’t a selfish person…after all, my mom taught me to share my crayons and open doors for older folks (thanks, Mom!) but as I’ve come to learn and know Christ more, I realize that I’m basically a very selfish person! Basically, it’s been about Jane…what turns me on, makes me happy, fulfills me as woman! I’ve come to see that without Jesus in the very center of my life, my life is hopelessly SELF centered!
Yuk…I hate to admit this to you!
7 comments:
Please let me know if you can view this! I need your feedback!
Yes Jane I can see it. I really think that its only in the last year with all the changes that I have started thinking more about what can I do or strive to be more christ like - but I'm right there with you as far as it being a "me" world.
I think there are a lot of us "me's" out there!
I can see it but it wasn't easy. No it is not about me but try telling "self that". As for "dress rehearsal", I hope not! I would not want to relive some of the things that I have gone through again. There are some experiences that I have had since becoming a Christian that have been glorious enough to relive.
Yeah, there are some things I don't want to relive either...I really don't think we will. I think its more like we're practicing in this life.
I try to remind myself that "It's not about me and my happiness" but sometimes the "I want, gimmees" interfere with "Thy will, not mine". I have to remind myself God is in control and He already knows what I need - NOT want - but my needs and those He will provide for. Maybe not by me winning the lottery or making sure Ed McMahan has my address but by providing me with opportunities and the wisdon to use those opportunities. I don't believe in coincidence - I beleive God puts me where He needs me to be or He puts someone in my path when I need them to be there.
Ann...I think the "hardest" thing to realize is that "It's not about me!" And then after we realize it, developing a walk with God that keeps that fact in the front of our minds! I also think for as long as we are in these "tents", we'll have this struggle.
Post a Comment