Sunday, June 12, 2011

Woman Does Not Live By Bread Alone!

Well, the first weekend of my official new lifestyle is almost over and I have to say, suprisingly, that it hasn't been awful. Fact is, there's something about eating healthier that makes me feel good about myself. Last night was a real challenge. I had friends over for supper and when I entertain I always try one up myself and wow my guests. This usually involves a lot of butter, sugar and assorted "white" foods. Last night, however, I did a healthier version of chicken piccata including whole wheat pasta and it got rave reviews. I'll post the recipes in my other blog. Try them, they were really good. I was especially concerned about dessert. I decided to do a mixed berry and fruit cup and top it off with a dollop of mango Greek yogurt. Hmmmm, not exactly decadent but I knew I'd knocked it out of the park when my, 6'4", 280 pound dinner guest gave it two thumbs up. Men can't be fooled when it comes to their desserts!

Since woman does not live by bread alone, I have to tell you about this morning's worship. The sermon was taken from Daniel 3. I'm sure you know the story of Shadrach,Meshach and Abednigo. Remember them, they wouldn't bow to the king's mega idol, a golden replica of himself and found themselves thrown into a furnace so hot it burned up the soldiers who threw them in, that's hot. Anyway, as the king looked on, he notices there were four men in the furnace not three. Yep, God was in the fire with his children and apparently, they were having a grand ole time.

As I pursue Entertain With Jane, I often times find myself majoring on the minors. I forget that it's not about me, it's about Him. I was made for God's purpose and the gifts and talents he's graciously given me are for him. In the quest for culinary stardom, sometimes, often times, my focus is on myself and this morning, God used his word, to show me, yet again, to refocus my heart. The "quest" may not go smoothly. I may not ever be on national television but that's okay because it's all about Him,not about me. The temptation to bow down before idols is very real and all around me, but I hope and pray I'll be faithful and like Shadrach, Meshach and Abedigo...yeah, I might find myself in the center of a firey furnace but you know who'll be with me! And we'll be having a grand ole time!

Every meal may be a party when you entertain with Jane but all of life is a celebration when you focus on Jesus!

1 comment:

Ed said...

What an inspiration! I had forgotten the story of the 3 men in the furnace. As I have said before, you inspire me to continue with what life I have left to do the right things in life. I'm wishing you good health and all the "weight loss" you so desire!