I knew sooner or later "Entertain With Jane" would have to go on the wagon. I knew my weight has been steadily climbing for about 10 years and that some day, SOME DAY I'd have to change my eating habits. Well, guess what? SOME DAY is today. The party is over. I'm on the wagon. And...I'm not any too happy about it. I've been telling myself for quite a while that "even though I'm fat, I'm still purdy!" Over the past few years I've learned to avoid mirrors,perfected my chin tilt at that certain angle for pictures, wear clothing that "hides" my pudge, and just generally act as if size doesn't matter. Know what? Turns out size does matter.
The reckoning came about mid morning today, just after I ate my usual breakfast of champions, a pack of nabs and an ice cold diet Pepsi. I'd been dodging my doctor's calls for about two days when she finally caught up with me. D@#% EMAIL! Yes, I got an email from my doctor's office this morning and instead of her telling me how great my blood work was, she told me how I have 3 months to lose weight and get healthier or she's going to put me on cholesterol meds. "CRAP!" If there's one thing I don't want to do is take more medication than I already do. And truth be known, at least 1/2 of my medication is probably the result of my packing on the pounds through the years. So...
THE PARTY IS OVER...it's time to get serious about my weight and overall health.
Here's what I'm NOT going to do:
1 I'm NOT going to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or NutriSystem.
2 I'm NOT joining a gym.
3 I'm NOT giving up the foods I love.
4 I'm NOT going to play the martyr.
5 I'm NOT going measure my success by my weight.
6 I'm NOT going to weigh myself obsessively.
7 I'm NOT going to promise myself to excercise every day for an hour.
8 I'm NOT going to beat myself up WHEN I fall off the wagon.
I'm sure I'll add to my list but for right now, that's all I can think of.
Here's what I AM going to do...
1 I'm going to eat healthy.
2 I'm going to learn more about nutrition.
3 I'm going to excercise until I learn to enjoy it.
4 I'm going to dance, do my own housework, and walk more.
5 I'm going to drink more water.
6 I'm going to change my lifestyle.
7 I'm going to create HEALTHY recipes and versions of the foods I love.
So, as I blog about this new adventure, feel free to join my journey,make comments and by all means feel free to pray...especially for my husband. I'm one mean woman when I'm hungry.
5 comments:
Jane, for the last year I have been losing weight (60 lbs. so far). It happened because I lost my job. I haven't really changed the way I eat other than I exercise more. I also try to make all of our desserts diabetic friendly. That way I don't feel like I am deprived. Blue Bell has a no sugar added ice cream that is wonderful and they have fruit bars that are darn tasty.
I will be happy to help you in anyway that I can. I need to get remotivated. I am not going to make my goal of losing 150 lbs by the time I go on the cruise but I will be skinner.
That's me, too, pookie. I have lost 5 pounds since Mother's Day, finally, and the reason?! I just stopped obsessing about all of the negatives I had built up about myself and let go. I eat small meals and/or snacks but I have what I want when I want (if possible). And I walk a lot, as well as do the yardwork. However, I have very low cholesterol and BP, etc. Heredity does matter. You can help yourself in the ways you have listed -- your friends are here and we're all in it together!! <3 <3 <3
Thank you Cyndi...I want some recipes and ideas. Tonight we had salmon steak on a bed of baby spinach with a black bean, corn and avocado salad dressed with eveoo and tarragon vinegar. It was really good. I just hope it lasts thru the evening!
When I turned 40, I lost 20 lbs. When I turned 41, I had gained it all back!! I need good recipes that are healthy!! I love food! I don't eat to live....I live to eat!! Please post whatever recipes you try and I will do the same! We can do this together!!
Yes WE can!
Post a Comment