Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Daughter, My Fitness Pal

LOL! I love that title. You see my daughter got me to download a new app to my Iphone this morning called "My Fitness Pal". Get it??? She highly recommends this useful little tool and so do I. For me the best part of using it is using it with her. No, I haven't quite figured it out yet but I will and both she and her best friend are using so now I have a new network of support. A little support never hurt anyone on the journey to becoming healthy! However, I'm especially excited about the common interest and time I'll spend with my daughter. Now that's what I call healthy all the way around!

Recapping this first week of my new lifestyle, I have to to say it hasn't been bad. Yes, there have been times I've wanted to binge eat, drink a soda or two (I'm cutting down on even the diet ones), not make myself exercise and just generally fall off the health wagon but it's been over a week and while I haven't lost much weight, I do generally feel better about myself.

Last night was a total challenge because I took my parents out to eat at a local seafood place that specializes in (what else) FRIED seafood. As my parents ordered fried perch, fried flounder, fried shrimp, french fries and topped the order off with a fried onion of sorts, I remained faithful to my new lifestyle. I proudly ordered grilled salmon and a skewer of grilled shrimp with steamed veggies on the side. My treat was a diet soda with lemon. I left feeling somewhat triumphant and more than a little proud of myself! I'm simply not going to take more meds and while I may die of a heart attack or stroke, it won't be because of my lifestyle! Frankly, this may sound morbid but every time I think about making my family nurse me through an illness I could have prevented, I feel extremely guilty. They may some day have to take care of me but I don't want it to be because I abused my body.

Again, this week hasn't been too bad. I hope you've checked out my other blog for those yummy recipes I posted. And while I'm recommending things, I HIGHLY recommend you trying them. I'm working on more recipes but cutting the fat and calories while maintaining the integrity and yes, THE TASTE of the dish can be a little daunting if you cook like I cook...REAL SOUTHERN!

Stay tuned...I'll even let you know when I screw up on my quest but hopefully, it won't be too bad...

Oh, BTW, I even exercised 3 times last week. I do my own version of zumba by turning on some Latin music and shaking my booty. Now that's a sight!

No comments: