My husband and I just got back from a short vacation on Hilton Head Island. My sister has lived there for about 25 years and it's become one of my favorite places in the whole wide world...I think my sister living there has a lot to do with it but that's not the story here.
Any of you who are following my journey know that about three weeks ago I made a commitment to eat healthy and get healthy. Typically, vacations are a prime time for me to lose most of my will power and abandon my usual, somewhat, good senses. I mean, what is vacation for except to do and eat anything your little heart desires? I love to eat out especially during vacation time and I usually order whatever strikes my fancy regardless of fat content, calorie count or even price. My last visit to Hilton Head was back in the late winter when I was cyber stalking one of my foodie heros, Robert Irvine. He has a wonderful restaurant on Hilton Head called "Eat!" and even has cooking classes for those of us who long to learn, dine, and bask in a little culture for a few short hours. During the class, the chef and his entourage ply you with plenty of culinary wisdom, delicious food and yes, even wine. It's great fun and I highly recommend it to even a novice cook. It's an early afternoon well worth the price, which is, in my opinion, extremely reasonable. But I decided to forgo my usual pilgrimage to "Eat!" this trip and while I was very tempted to "dine with Robert" once again, I decided I'd try my new, healthy culinary skills on my sister and her husband. We started off the weekend with my lowfat version of chicken piccata along with a scrumptious blueberry feta spring salad. One night we enjoyed a splurge of steak along with my very special red potato salad which is mixed with not simply high fat, high calorie mayo but a mixture of 1/3 light mayo, 1/3 lowfat yogurt and 1/3 light sour cream. My triumph of the evening was to only eat a palm sized portion of steak. And so the weekend began and continued past July 4th. I found myself on the beach one day at lunch time not having prepared for the beastly hunger that would attack me about lunch time and yes, I did have one of those packs of cheese crackers laden with saturated fat but that was my one slip of the weekend. Since I did it knowingly, I didn't castigate myself for the processed, caloric snack, I simply went on about my day changing my eating habits one step at a time.
As Dearld and I drove home this morning, I found myself musing over the long weekend and realized I had, indeed, conquered the beast named, "Vacation Temptation". He or dare I say, she, was conquered one healthy meal, one temptation, and one choice at a time.
Just call me "Jane, the Junk Food Dragon Slayer!"
Oh and yes, even when cooking healthier, "Every meal's a party when you Entertain with Jane!" I'm learning good food doesn't have to clog your arteries or pad your thighs!
No comments:
Post a Comment