I have to admit I've been getting pretty discouraged with the health kick I'm on. Mostly, I've stayed right with my plan...staying away from artificial sweeteners, white foods and too much red meat. What I haven't conquered yet is my loathing of exercise. I hate to sweat. I really do. I give myself all kinds of legitimate excuses for not exercising but even I know they are just that, excuses.
Today after eating my favorite dinner of chicken fajitas and splurging just a little on nachos, I made the huge mistake of trying on swimsuits. It must have been some evil genius who put TJ Maxx next door to a Mexican Restaurant. Omgosh! How much sense does it make to try on swimsuits after a meal of Mexican food? It was in TJ Maxx my current awakening began. I looked like a big, white, beached whale. All I could think was..."What happened to my body?" I could have cried but I was determined to suck it up (and in) and walk out of that store as if I were the most beautifully built middle aged woman in the world. I'll tell you this, NOW I really know why old women wear moo moos. Yes siree, that's where I was heading 3 weeks ago when my dear doctor put the hammer down and said loose weight, get healthy or take some more drugs.
When I got home, I immediately called my sister, Cathy who struggles with her weight too but even when she's heavy, she's one of the prettiest women I know. She's trying to get healthy, too and I'm spending the next 3 days with her at the beach. Talk about misery loving company! She gave me a sisterly pep talk and it helped. Don't you just love people who will tell you the truth in love and at the same time make you feel okay? That's my Cathy.
After clicking off the phone, I got back to the task at hand...cleaning off and organizing my desk. As I began to sort through the mess and clutter of at least the last 12 months, I found letters, cards and notes from people I love and who love me wishing me Happy Birthday, Happy Mother's Day, Happy Valentine's Day, Merry Christmas and even a letter from a customer thanking me for helping her with a wireless problem. Talk about feeling better...I immediately began to be thankful and realize again that it's not so much about what's on the outside but the inside that really counts. I am so blessed! For a few minutes, God simply showered me with His love and grace and gave me a better perspective on the substance of my life.
Truthfully, the ship has sailed on my being the 5'7" slim, firm, young woman I was for so long. I'll never be young again or even as firm as I was in my 20's and 30's. And that's okay. I will be healthier each day and oh so much richer as I learn to give even my eating and exercise habits to the control of the one who made me. The journey continues...
1 comment:
You'll get there ;-) I still think you are beautiful just the way you are. But taking too much medication isn't much fun at all either.
Post a Comment