Thursday, August 28, 2008

ASK!


My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God's Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion. And how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he's listening. And if we're confident that he's listening, we know that what we've asked for is as good as ours. 1 John 5:12-14 (The Message)

Last weekend, my three precious grandchildren spent the night with me. I called their mother on Thursday and asked her if they could come for an evening with Nana. Of course, my daughter said "yes". She usually does unless they have something special going on. That night after supper at a local Mexican restaurant where they ate like starving monkeys, baths and shampoos, and some arguing over who was going to sleep with whom, I found myself sleeping with seven year old Anna. As Anna and I lay in the dark, we talked about how much I love having the kids come spend the night with me and she told me how much she loved to come. It occurred to me that she had seldom, if ever, called me and asked to come stay the night. So, I told her, "Anna, all you have to do is call me and I'll come get you." "Oh." she said as if it had never occurred to her to call me and simply ask.

Today, as I rushed about at work and at home I could "hear" God saying to me over and over..."Ask, Jane, ask." You know, there are some things I want, even need, that I've never really asked God for! Just like Anna had not asked me to come to my house at times when she really wanted to, I have not asked God for some things that I'm sure He'll be pleased to give me. And just like Anna, I needed to hear God say, "Ask."

Love, Jane

PS (By the way, guess who is coming to stay with Nana this weekend? Yep, those three starving monkeys!)

No comments: