Monday, July 28, 2008

"I LOVE YOU MORE"

My husband and I have a silly little game we play. Many mornings as I’m leaving for work I say “I love you” and he replies “I love you more”. Then I say “I love YOU more” and he replies “I LOVE YOU more” and then I shout back as I’m heading for the car…”I LOVE YOU MORE!” We each try to be the last one to tell the other “I love you”. It’s a silly little game but this morning I was thinking about how lucky I am to be playing silly little games with my husband of 31 years! Both of us still enjoy each other in spite of and maybe even because of having been married for so long! My husband is still the first person I want to see in the morning and the last person I want to see at night!

Maybe there is something to be said for experience and while I’m certainly not a marriage counselor, I do have some tips for making your marriage strong and good. For the next several devotions, if you’ll bear with me, I want to share some of my hard learned advice!

Today’s tip is:

Take time to play!

There’s an old saying that goes…”All work and no play makes John a dull boy.” The same is true in marriage. Think about the fun you had with each other while you were dating. My husband and I used to tease each other. We went fishing together (even though neither of us was a good fisherman!). We went movies and long walks in the woods. We had a special spot where we used to sit and watch a fountain. And who says that even after 31 years, we still can’t do the same things?

Yes, marriage is hard work but it started as fun…and the fun can continue for a lifetime! It really can!

1 comment:

Vanessa Cole said...

I knew a family once who, when on the phone with one another, would say someting similar at the end of their conversation. The idea was to say it and hang up before the other one could.

"I love you more than you love me. Bye"

Fun and memories for them. :-)

Vanessa
The Poetic Brownie Lady